Monday, November 5, 2012

chicken avocado soup!

I don't know about you but the month of November and colder weather brings soup galore at my house!  Yesterday I set out to make a chicken avocado soup, you know that delicious kind that you order at a mexican restaurant??  I couldn't really find a recipe that fit my exact wants on the internet so I made up my own. I have to say it is one of the best soups I have made + it is GF + it's pretty healthy!



Chicken Avocado Soup
  • 3 chicken breast, cooked and shredded or I used a whole rotisserie chicken to save time
  • one avocado
  • 4 cups of water
  • one yellow onion
  • cilantro (enough for your liking, some are finicky about it's taste)
  • one lime
  • one packet of Sazon (seasoning you can find in the latin cuisine)
  • GF chicken stock (i used about 3/4 of a 32 oz container)
  • tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • one package of brown rice, cooked (you could use spanish)
  • one garlic bulb
  • teaspoon salt
  • teaspoon cumin
Dice the onion and garlic and saute in the olive oil until the onion is translucent.  Add the chicken stock, Sazon seasoning, salt and cumin.  Let cook for 3 mins or so.  Add the 4 cups of water and squeeze the juice of one lime into the pot.  Stir and then add your chicken, rice, diced avocado and chopped cilantro.  I covered the soup and let cook for a bit on a lower setting to let everything cook together and soak up all that yummy flavor.  I served with a little pinch of cheese and voila!  It was seriously so good and you could add jalapeno, red pepper, etc if you wanted to kick it up a notch!


Just wanted to share that this jacket is seriously on my christmas list!! It's gray.  It's patagonia.  It's comfy. and cute at the same time.  perfect!  Maybe an early surcie before NYC? Don't pay attention to the out of control saturday morning bangs :)




1 comment:

Denise Lopatka said...

yummy yummy i just might have to try this one!! xox